Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Our Grandpa Ron

On Saturday morning, November 30th 2013, one of the greatest men I have ever known left our world and we will never be the same. I know that everyone claims that they have the best Grandpa, but anyone who knew my Grandpa Ron will agree that he is the best there is. Gramps was always happy. Even the last few months of his life, when he was so very sick and weak, he always laughed and teased when we were with him. His laugh was the best laugh and it was contagious to anyone in hearing range. Grandpa Ron had big, strong hands and fingers that he put to good use his entire life. He always worked SO hard. He was a gentle giant in my eyes.

I remember when I was a little girl I loved to sit by him in Sacrament meeting for lots of reasons. He always had a big bag of candy that he loved to share. He would take out his little pocket knife and push my cuticles on my finger nails back and then he would twist my hair in his big, strong fingers. Those things were always so comforting to me and I will always remember them.

When you went to Grandpa Ron and Grandma Georgie's, it was not long after you walked in and set your keys and cell phone (or whatever else) you had down, that they were shortly missing. Grandpa Ron would, so very sneakly, hide whatever was unattended and you would have never known it was him. If it wasn't in his shirt pocket, it was on top of the fridge or somewhere else you could not see. He always held a straight face and never gave any hints that it was him that hid your stuff. He was always teasing us kids!

Grandpa's garden was the best around. His corn was the sweetest, yummiest corn there was! He loved his garden and spent lots of hours and hard work to make them the prettiest with the best veggies. There were always more than plenty of vegetables for all of our families in the area plus the neighbors and more. Grandma Georgie and I have spent a lot of time bottling those vegetables and Gramps was always right there to help us out. Those are some of my favorite times.

I loved to go visit Grandpa Ron at the store when he was still working. He was always smiling and visiting with all the customers and his fellow employees. I love to walk by the meat department at Fresh Market to smell the fresh, raw meat and bleach, it reminds me of my sweet Grandpa. I also loved to watch him cut meat in his own shop out back of his home. He was always working hard and never turned anyone away that brought their animals to be processed, even if he was way to full. Gramps always had a bag of chocolate bars within his reach and he was always happy to share them with us kids. I always laughed because he didn't care if he had some blood and a few chunks of raw meat on his hands, he would still open a candy bar up and throw it in his mouth.

Dax and Gramps had a special relationship. He was SO good to Dax and they loved each other so much. When Dax was about 6 months old until he was 3 or 4, Grandma and Grandpa would watch  him a day or two each week. I am not sure who had more fun, Dax or Gramps. Dax got Grandpa's appetite for chocolate and ice cream. I think most of their time spent together was eating candy bars and giggling together. I am so thankful that Dax has those memories of him. I hope they never leave him. What an amazing man we got to know and love. Just a few months ago, after Dax and I left Grandma's and Grandpa's house, Dax said, "I wish Grandpa Ron was my age. He could run and play with me. We would have so much fun!"

Dear Grandpa Ron, You are going to missed so much. I do not know how we will ever be able to live our lives without you here. I know you are in a happy place now and I hope that you feel comfort and joy and know that you are loved. What an amazing Grandpa you are. Such a great example to us all. Your love and lessons will never be forgotten, neither will you. My heart will never be whole again without you in our world, but I know that we will see you again some day soon. We love you! Love, Katie & Dax

Dax, Grandpa Ron & Grandpa Chad - Christmas 2008



Grams & Gramps with all the great grandkids at the time - July 2008
(Dax was NOT happy to share his Grandpa!)

Dax & Grandpa Ron - July 2008


1 comment:

Ashley & Dak Eldredge said...

such a sweet post i sure love you!!